2014 Yale Health Law & Policy Society Conference
Health Insurance Exchange Implementation: Early Challenges and Opportunities
Yale Law School is proud to host the first Yale Health Law and Policy Society Conference. The theme of the conference is “Health Insurance Exchange Implementation: Early Challenges and Opportunities.” The conference will feature keynote speaker Henry J. Aaron, Ph.D, the Bruce and Virginia MacLaury Senior Fellow in the Economic Studies program at the Brookings Institution. Additionally, other health policy and law experts from across the country will present on topics such as the history of health insurance exchanges, early successes and challenges, and how to optimally balance state and federal roles in exchange implementation and operation.
For more information, go to http://www.law.yale.edu/news/yhelps14.htm
Registration ¦ 8:30-9:45am
Opening Remarks ¦ 9:45-10am
Panel 1: Health Insurance Exchange 101 ¦ 10:00-11:30am
This panel will introduce the origin and purpose of health insurance exchanges and describe their role in the Affordable Care Act. Panelists will also describe the different exchange models and discuss which states have chosen which models and why. Panelists include:
· Nicholas R. Parrillo, JD, PhD, Professor of Law, Yale Law School (Moderator)
· Sarah Dash, MPH, Research Fellow, Georgetown University Health Policy Institute's Center on Health
· Keith Ericson, PhD, Assistant Professor of Markets, Public Policy, and Law, Boston University School of
· Mark Hall, JD, Fred D. & Elizabeth L. Turnage Professor of Law, Wake Forest University School of Law
Keynote ¦ 11:30-12:30pm
The keynote address will be presented by Henry J. Aaron, PhD, Senior Fellow, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution.
Lunch ¦ 12:30-1:30pm
Panel 2: Implementation Status Check ¦ 1:30-3:00pm
This panel will examine the current status of exchange implementation, with a special focus on issues directly impacting consumers, including eligibility, enrollment, plan choice, and affordability. Panelists will discuss what mid-course corrections have happened or are needed. Panelists include:
· Reed Abelson, MA, Correspondent, New York Times (Moderator)
· Lisa Monti, Assistant Director of Marketing, HealthSource RI
· Timothy S. Jost, JD, Robert L. Willett Family Professorship of Law, Washington and Lee University School of
· Jane Perkins, JD, MPH, Legal Director, National Health Law Program
Coffee Break ¦ 3:00-3:30pm
Panel 3: Cooperative Federalism in Action ¦ 3:30-5:00
This panel will examine the different roles and responsibilities of state and federal officials across the exchange models. Panelists will discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the different approaches and how to optimally balance state and federal roles in exchange implementation and operation. Panelists will also consider what the country’s experiences with exchange implementation can tell us about cooperative federalism more broadly. Panelists include:
· Abbe Gluck, JD, Associate Professor of Law, Yale Law School (Moderator)
· Kevin Counihan, MBA, Chief Executive Officer, Access Health CT
· Joel Ario, JD, MDiv, Managing Director, Mannatt Health Solutions
· Brett Graham, MBA, MPA, Partner, Leavitt Partners
Closing Remarks ¦ 5:00-5:15pm
The conference is open to the Yale University community, the greater New Haven community, and all others interested in health insurance exchange implementation.
Registration is free for Yale University and New Haven community members. For all others, the registration fee is $30, payable online or by check. Checks should be addressed to Yale Law School and include “YHeLPS Conference” in the memo section. Registration fees paid in advance should be mailed to Yale Law School, P.O. Box 208215, New Haven, CT 06511.
Questions? Contact YaleHIXConference@gmail.com.