Print/PDF this page:

Print Friendly and PDF

Share this page:

Applying for Federal Loans

In order to receive financial aid, you must first fill out the FAFSA and, perhaps, the Need Access Application. See determining eligibility...

After we have received your information from FAFSA and Need Access, we will process your application and provide you with an award letter that will specify the amounts of federal loans, private loans and grants that you are eligible for, as well as describe the student, parental and spousal contributions that we expect from you.

You are not obligated to take out the full amount of loans that are included in your award letter. We encourage you to think carefully about the amount of loans that you will need.

You may take out private loans to replace the expected student, spouse and parental contributions. Loans taken to replace the parental contributions will generally be covered by the Career Options Assistance Plan (COAP). Loans taken to replace student contributions and loans borrowed in excess of the standard budget generally will not be covered by COAP.

How to Apply

To apply for the federal loans specified in your award letter, you will need to complete the following forms: 

1. Notification & Confirmation Form

2. 2010 – 2011 Verification Worksheet for Federal Student Aid Programs

3. Please also submit a copy of your 2010 Federal Income Tax Return and W2 (signed copy) for you and your spouse. If you are not required to file a federal income tax return, a non-filer statement is required.

Deadline: All required forms and tax documents are due in the Financial Aid Office by May 3, 2011.

First-time borrowers

All first-time borrowers at Yale Law School are required to complete an online Entrance Interview before Stafford loan funds can be disbursed to your account. During the summer, new students will receive a NetID from the University, which will allow you to log into the University computer system.

If you have not received your NetID and password by mid-July please contact the Law School ITS department by emailing Susan Monsen.

Please complete the online interview

Applications that are incomplete or improperly filled out will be returned. This will delay your loan, which could result in substantial late fees. No funds will be disbursed until we have received all required forms and you have completed your Entrance Interview.

Once the required documents have been returned to the Financial Aid Office, Federal Direct loans will be electronically certified and the lender will mail Master Promissory Notes (MPNs) to the student borrower directly.

During the school year, you will also need to complete the Term Time Employment Verification form as requested by the Financial Aid Office.