Yale Law School Law and Globalization Breakfast Series: April 16, 2009
Yale Law School Law and Globalization Breakfast will be held at The Century Association, 7 West 43rd Street on Thursday, April 16th from 7:30-9:15 am. This session is titled "How To Close Guantanamo?" President Obama issued an executive order two days after taking office that directed that Guantanamo be closed within one year.
Suggested Readings by panel participants:
- Richard B. Zabel and James J. Benjamin, Jr., "In Pursuit of Justice: Prosecuting Terrorism Cases in the Federal Courts"
Suggested Readings by Sarah H. Cleveland '92:
- Executive Order, Review of Detention Policy Options
- Executive Order, Review and Disposition of Individuals Detained at the Guantánamo Bay Naval Base and Closure of Detention Facilities
- Executive Order, Ensuring Lawful Interrogations
- Executive Order, Scholars' Statement of Principles for the New President on U.S. Detention Policy: An Agenda for Change
Suggested Readings by Matthew Waxman:
- Matthew C. Waxman, Detention as Targeting: Standards of Certainty and Detention of Suspected Terrorist, 108 Columbia Law Rev. 1365 (2008)
- Kenneth Jost, Closing Guantánamo, 19-8 CQ Researcher (177-200) Feb. 27, 2009