October 6, 2011 Readings
"Business Roundtable v. SEC: The Future of Dodd-Frank and the Rulemaking Process?"
1. U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit Opinion, "Business Roundtable v. SEC"
2. Supreme Court Opinion, "Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association of the United States, Inc. v. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Co."
3. Davis Polk, Dodd-Frank Rulemaking Progress Report: One Year Later
4. Davis Polk, Dodd-Frank Rulemaking Progress Report: September 2011
5. Excerpts from Primary Sources (NERA/Macey Report, Mulherin & Poulsen on Proxy Contests, SEC Release on Facilitating Shareholder Director Nominations, Statement of Commissioner Parades, Petitioners' Initial Brief, and Business Roundtable opinion)
6. Elaine Buckberg, Jonathan Macey and James Overdahl, "Will court short-circuit Dodd-Frank?"
7. Roger Coffin, "SEC's Proxy Access Missteps."
8. Steven M. Davidoff, "Proxy Access in Limbo After Court Rules Against It."9. David S. Hilzenrath, "Appeals decision is a victory for opponents of SEC's new Wall Street Regulation."
10. Hal Weitzman, "CME Group Chief Donohue Hits at Washington Regulators."
11. David Zaring, "More on the DC Circuit's Proxy Access Decision."
12. Congressional Research Service, "Cost-Benefit and Other Analysis Requirements in the Rulemaking Process"
13. S. 1615
14. Yair Listokin, "Management Always Wins the Close Ones"