Visiting researchers may audit one or two courses per term with the consent of individual instructors and make use of library facilities for their work. For academic year 2015-16, the registration fee is $4,000 per term or $8,000 per academic year. No financial aid from the Law School is available for participants in this program.
The application deadlines are April 1 for the fall term and September 1 for the spring term.
To apply to be a Visiting Researcher, please submit:
- the Visiting Researcher application form
- application fee of $75.00
- current resume or curriculum vitae
- a description of the proposed research
- a statement explaining why Yale Law School is a particularly appropriate affiliation for your work
- two letters of recommendation
- official transcript(s) of the applicant’s academic record
- the proposed length and dates of stay.
- the official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score report unless you completed your undergraduate education or law degree in the United States, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, or Canada (in English medium of instruction schools). Applicants who have at least a 4-year degree from the U.S. or the countries listed above may request a waiver of the TOEFL. We require a minimum TOEFL score of 100 on the Internet-based test.
The application fee is $75 in U.S. funds.
Submit your application fee in the form of a U.S. postal money order, travelers check, or a check drawn on a bank with a U.S. branch indicated on the check, payable to Yale Law School. We cannot accept cash or Western Union transfers. We also cannot accept direct deposits into our account.
You may also pay the fee by wire transfer to Bank of America, New York, NY, ABA Number 026009593; for credit to Yale University Account Number 0050296726 (For international bank transfers, please use the SWIFT number, BOFAUS3N); Attention: Caroline Curtis, Yale Law School Graduate Programs. (All bank fees are the responsibility of the applicant.) Be sure your name referenced for proper credit. Note that overpayment of application fees cannot be refunded.
The Graduate Programs office is not responsible for misdirected checks or transfers.
The application fee is nonrefundable and will not be credited to the registration fee in the event of admission.
Official transcripts must be submitted in a sealed envelope, signed across the seal. All documents must be in English or accompanied by certified English translation.
Mail the documents to: Visiting Researcher Program, Yale Law School, P.O. Box 208215, New Haven, Connecticut 06520-8215.
(All requirements are further described on the application form.)