Registration ¦ 8:30-9:45am
Opening Remarks ¦ 9:45-10am
Panel 1: Health Insurance Exchange 101 ¦ 10:00-11:30am
This panel will introduce the origin and purpose of health insurance exchanges and describe their role in the Affordable Care Act. Panelists will also describe the different exchange models and discuss which states have chosen which models and why.
Moderator: Nicholas R. Parrillo, JD, PhD, Yale Law School
- Sarah Dash, MPH, Research Fellow, Georgetown University Health Policy Institute's Center on Health Insurance Reforms
- Keith Ericson, PhD, Assistant Professor of Markets, Public Policy, and Law, Boston University School of Management
- Mark Hall, JD, Fred D. & Elizabeth L. Turnage Professor of Law, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Henry J. Aaron, PhD, Senior Fellow, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution
Lunch ¦ 12:30-1:30pm
Panel 2: Implementation Status Check ¦ 1:30-3:00pm
This panel will examine the current status of exchange implementation, with a special focus on issues directly impacting consumers, including eligibility, enrollment, plan choice, and affordability. Panelists will discuss what mid-course corrections have happened or are needed.
Moderator: Reed Abelson, MA, Correspondent, New York Times
- Christine Ferguson, Director of HealthSource RI
- Timothy S. Jost, JD, Robert L. Willett Family Professorship of Law, Washington and Lee University School of Law
- Jane Perkins, JD, MPH, Legal Director, National Health Law Program
Coffee Break ¦ 3:00-3:30pm
Panel 3: Cooperative Federalism in Action
This panel will examine the different roles and responsibilities of state and federal officials across the exchange models. Panelists will discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the different approaches and how to optimally balance state and federal roles in exchange implementation and operation. Panelists will also consider what the country’s experiences with exchange implementation can tell us about cooperative federalism more broadly.
Moderator: Abbe Gluck, JD, Associate Professor of Law, Yale Law School
- Kevin Counihan, MBA, Chief Executive Officer, Access Health CT
- Joel Ario, JD, MDiv, Managing Director, Mannatt Health Solutions
- Brett Graham, MBA, MPA, Partner, Leavitt Partners
Closing Remarks ¦ 5:00-5:15pm